Friday, January 21, 2011

What do you see yourself doing in five years

Feel confident that you are prepared for this tough job interview question and answer.

"What do you see yourself doing in five years?"

It is not easy to answer this interview question in terms of specific job or company expectations.

One cannot accurately predict what the job or the company will look like in 5 years time. You can answer in general terms about the type of situation you would like to be in and the way you want to have grown and developed. Avoid giving specific time frames or job titles.
Focus on realistic career opportunities you could expect in your industry and what you hope to have gained from these opportunities.

"It is an uncertain world and one can't predict what is going to happen. However, my hope is that I will have contributed to the success of the company and grown both personally and professionally within my position"

Your interview answer should relate to the job you are being interviewed for in some way. The interviewer does not want to hear that you hope to have published your first novel or be running your own business.

This interview question is designed to assess a number of things.
  • How long are you likely to stay with the company?
  • What is your motivation in applying for this position?
  • Do you look ahead and set goals for yourself?

Combine your personal growth strategies and goals with commitment to the job and the employer.
For example:
"I want to have developed new skills and abilities and to have made the most of my opportunities. This position will give me the opportunity to learn more about managing a work team, this is a goal of mine. I would like to be recognized as an individual who has really added value to the company"
When faced with this job interview question and answer, avoid making over-ambitious predictions about your future potential. This indicates a lack of insight and maturity. Broadly discuss your work values and goals, not focusing on a specific career plan.
"I want to have learned and grown within my work, to have increased my responsibilities and skills. I enjoy a challenge and would like to know that I am constantly meeting new challenges. My goal is to be the best at whatever level I am working at within the company"
Demonstrate that you understand that reward (salary, promotion, responsibility) will be based on the quality and value of your contribution.
"I want to make the most of my abilities and potential. By always doing my best I can ensure that there will be opportunities to increase my value and to grow in ways that benefit both the company and me"
Align your success with the company's success.
"I want to continue to gain experience and be a top -performing employee in a big company such as this one. I want to contribute as much as possible to the company's expansion and success"
The interviewer will respond positively if you present yourself, in this job interview question and answer, as a mature, insightful and self-motivated candidate who wants to make an important and constructive contribution to the company.


0 comments:

Post a Comment